Thursday, October 23, 2008

Kitten Conscience

I am going to keep this blog pretty short today.

Today I am taking my two kittens into the cat clinic to get spayed. Rationally speaking, obviously, I know it is the right thing to do. But, for some reason I feel terrible doing it! I feel so guilty knowing that I am taking my kittens in to have their reproductive organs taken out! I had to take their food and water away last night around 6pm so the anesthesia doesn’t affect them during their surgery.

I had gotten these two cute kittens about 7 months ago. My husband (then fiancé) was always at his school studying and I was getting lonely. I thought the perfect solution was to get a cat to keep me company. Once I decided to get one, I realized I should probably get two so they can keep each other company during the day while I am at work and he is at school.

I found these two kittens from a true “cat lady”. I went to her home in March to pick these cats up and she told me she had 35 cats at her home! She had me sign a contract saying I would get the cats the proper shots, get them spayed, and never get them de-clawed. Two weeks later they got their next set of shots, I have no problem keeping their claws in, but I have been putting off getting them spayed.

The last two to three months I have been getting a new voicemail every other day from this cat lady. She was trying to scare me by explaining how cats go into heat and run out the front door when you walk in, they get pregnant, and then you will have to put their kittens to sleep because there are already too many cats. I have to say that I agree with her. I don’t want more unwanted animals on this planet. But, I still feel guilty doing this to them. I definitely know I wouldn’t want my reproductive organs torn out!!

I am a pretty rational person. I make rational decisions, don’t get too emotional, and try to use reason during my decision-making processes. So, I really don’t understand why I have gotten so torn about doing this for my kittens. But I have.

Regardless, I am dropping them off at 7am so I can get to work by 7:30. I will pick them up around 6:30 after I get off work and fight traffic. I know it will probably kill me to see their little tummies shaved, but I realize that it is necessary.

I apologize if this post was boring for people to read…but it has been a huge struggle for me the last few weeks and the day is finally here to have the procedure done! I am sure I have not been the only pet-owner who has ever had to deal with these worries. Maybe I will google search it and see if other people have written about it. Isn’t it weird how you can read about someone else’s struggles and it can provide a little more comfort to your worries? Writing about it has helped me feel a little better, but not much.

1 comment:

Lizabeth said...

I hear ya sister. It pains me to know that my loving, nurturing dog can't ever be a mom (not that I would ever breed her). I don't know if she ever has a sense of loss or not, but I'm hoping not.