Monday, December 8, 2008

The End of the Internet

The internet isn’t that great, really. I once had a job for TWO years that gave me so much free time that I think I actually got to the end of the internet. Seriously. One Thursday (not that I remember exactly) afternoon, it just hit me that there was nothing else to look at. I couldn’t think of one single website that I hadn’t been to or one single headline, byline or pop-up ad, I hadn’t clicked on.

So that gave me the idea to give back (and really, hope you all will, in turn, give to me) by recommending some places to visit should you choose to spend some time during the day on the information superhighway.

I usually like to start my day with news: cnn.com, nytimes.com, washingtonpost.com, local papers, etc. I have four local papers that I read (don’t ask) – I like to know what’s going on in just about every major city that I’ve ever lived in. My favorite days are: wedding announcement Mondays in the NYT, and DateLab Sundays in the Washingtonpost. (this is a particularly good one: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/14/AR2008081401423.html). I also like the GoingOut Gurus and the Travel Discussion – it’s got me thinking about spending New Year’s in Iceland. If I want a laugh or get desperate I go to foxnews.com (sorry!).

And for real news, I also hit up the espn.com, which is sort of news, sort of pretty boys. Mmmmm. Pretty boys. Paying particular attention to Page 2, which is the funnier and less informative part of espn: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/index. Two of the best things to read are the SportsGuy and UniWatch. Good times, good times. And in the winter it’s uscho.com for your hockey fix. Another entertaining “news” site is eonline.com. As are theonion.com and people.com. And if you want to kill some major time, one of my all-times favorites is televisionwithoutpity.com.

At various times I also check email: yahoo.com, hotmail.com, and gmail.com (never know when someone might email that hotmail account I set up in 1995 and stopped using regularly in 1998). And my grad. school email account. Speaking of, if I get really desperate I hit up both the college and grad. school webpages, just in case somethin’s going down that I need to know about. My college has this great alumni note section where folks can post stuff, so I like visiting there when I’m feeling good about my life. Just to put my self-confidence in check. Married: nope, Lawyer: nope, Doctor: nope, Fulbright: nope, Baby: nope. Check.

I also do a little shopping: Nordstrom.com, amazon.com, ebay.com, cars.com (I’m alllllways car shopping), petfinder (cute puppies!), zillow.com (got to check the value of the house), bluefly.com, zappos.com, target.com, pollstar.com, horchow.com, ikea.com, and one of my favorites: nancykoltesathome.com.

Now don’t get me started on all the job-hunting sites I sometimes check, which are too numerous to mention, but the sum of which stands at an astounding 51. Not including such crappy sites as monster.com and careerbuilder.com which I actually find aren’t worth my time—and that’s saying something.

No comments: