Thursday, April 9, 2009

Grandma's Recipes

Cooking…something I love to do but I am not very good at! When I got married, my family knew this was a big concern of mine. I think a few months ago I had mentioned my grandma’s caramel recipe. Well, at my bridal shower she gifted me with a wonderful scrapbook of all her best tried-and-true recipes. I have gotten her permission to share a few of these with the loyal fans of our blog! Of course, my favorites tend to be the sweets!! Here you go:

Caramel Corn (not that hard but oh-so-good)
2 c. brown sugar
¼ c. light Karo Syrup
¼ c. water
1 stick butter
1 t. baking soda

In a deep pan, boil all ingredients to a soft ball. Add margarine. Add soda and stir with a wooden spoon. This will become very frothy. Pour immediately over popcorn. Covers 3-4 poppers full.

Clam Chowder
2 or 3 6 ½ oz. cans canned clams
1 c. finely chopped onion (1 small)
1 c. finely chopped celery (2-3) stalks
2 c. finely cubed potatoes (2-3 medium)

Drain juice from clams and pour with vegetables in sauce pan. Add enough water to barely cover. Salt and pepper. Simmer 15 minutes. Drain and then add clams.

Make a white sauce of:
¾ c. butter
¾ c. flour
1 ½ t. salt
1 qt. half & half

Melt butter. On very low heat add flour, salt and cream. Stir constantly until well mixed continually scraping bottom of pan so it doesn’t stick.
Drain vegetables and reserve juice to add if mixture is too thick for personal taste. Add vegetables to white sauce and a couple of bay leaves. Keep warm until ready to serve stirring occasionally.

Jan Hagels
(my favorite recipe!! Pronounced “Yawn Haw-gulls”. These are a GREAT treat to take to a party!)

1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
3 eggs, separated (save the whites, throw two of the yolks away)
1 t. almond extract
2 cups flour
1 cup sliced almonds
2 T. sugar and ½ t. cinnamon combined

Beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Add one of the egg yolks and extract. Stir in flour. Turn onto ungreased jelly roll pan 15x10x1. Beat egg white until foamy white (I find I need 3 egg whites). This works better if you use a bowl and mixers that have been chilled in the freezer. Spread over dough. Add almonds and sugar and cinnamon mixture on top. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes (depending on your oven). Cool for 10 minutes and cut 8 lengthwise strips and then 12 diagonally. Cool a little longer in the pan before removing. Makes 6 dozen.

I hope you get a chance to try these recipes. I LOVE sharing recipes!

No comments: