Friday, June 19, 2009

Turn, Turn, Turn

Summer used to be my least favorite holiday. I'm not a huge fan of the heat, and nothing else about it appealed to me. By contrast, the rest of the seasons did. I loved the freshness of Spring, and comfy-ness of fall, and I loved winter largely because of Christmas. Summer just didn't do it for me.

But that's all changed. When I was growing up and it snowed in our neighborhood, the plows piled all the snow into a big hill on our cul-de-sac. It was awesome. We had so much fun sledding down it and making snowmen and having snowball fights. As an adult, I lived in Pittsburgh for a while, and that cured any affection I had for winter. Being an adult, you have to deal with a lot of things that you don't have to when you're young. No one expects a youngster to walk far distances in the snow. But when I was in college or working in New York, that's what you did when you had to get somewhere. When you're young, you don't have to shovel the snow, salt your icy steps so as to not get sued by a visitor, or deal with a weak car. I still love Christmas though.

And I still love Fall for many reasons. It contains my favorite holiday, Thanksgiving, plus another that has really grown on me lately, Halloween. I love sweaters and the way the leaves look and college football and a new TV schedule. The main reason I love Fall, though, is that I love the beginning of things. I don't think I will ever stop thinking of the Fall as the beginning of the New Year. Pre-Blackberry, I loved to get a new planner every September, and the feeling in the air still reminds of school supplies and getting organized.

Speaking of starting new, I also love that other temperate season, Spring. My favorite thing about Spring is the style you see around. Much like GirlTuesday, I'm a preppy girl. I love polos and pastels and feminine dresses. I love baby showers and weddings. I can't get enough of the sun shining bright during Easter Egg hunts and picnics and long dog walks.

As the grown-up that I am, I have really come to appreciate summer. In honor of GirlMonday, here are my top 5:

1. Unfortunately, I spend a lot of my day in front of the computer. I love that when I'm all done in the afternoon, it stays sunny for hours!

2. I love that people seem more willing to get out and do fun stuff- even a couch potato like me!

3. Blockbuster summer movies. Midnight showings in Manhattan- it's the best.

4. Wedding/BBQ/Vacation season!

5. Also-- I. LOVE. ICE CREAM. It is an unhealthy, destructive relationship that I hope to maintain forever.

No comments: