Monday, November 3, 2008

Daddies

This has been a difficult week for me (and a very difficult last 11 months for a dear, dear friend of mine). I have written several blogs for use in just this case, when words don’t come so easily or when life prevents putting pen to paper in time for Monday morning. But on days like this, a trivial, frivolous blog seems just that . . . trivial.

And so here I sit, words not really coming because hearts are so heavy. So I’ll write some words of advice and then go on about my day.

Go tell your daddy that you love him. If you don’t have a daddy, or aren’t close, tell your momma (or tell her anyway!). Remind yourself that life changes in an instant, one second you’re eating Thanksgiving dinner with the ones you love, the next minute you’re coordinating hospice care and preparing wills. Just like that.

I don’t know what it is about fathers and daughters. If you’re anything like me, you have one of the strongest bonds in the world. I have an amazing DaddyMonday (PH to those of you who know him!) who would do anything in the world, not only for me, but for just about anyone else.

Someday I’ll write about how wonderful he is, but not today. Today I just want to send you off into your work week with this advice: Tell the ones you love that you love them. Show them you love them. And do this every day, for tomorrow they could be gone.

No comments: