Friday, November 21, 2008

Pumpkin Pie

Hey friends. I have a nice, meaty topic I want to discuss, but unfortunately I don't have the time to give it proper attention. But I don't want to leave you empty-handed, so I'm going to pass on my very favorite pumpkin pie recipe, which I originally got a few years ago from Whole Foods. Everyone else in my family loves pecan pie, and every year at Thanksgiving they say, 'why don't we just have 2 pecans, no one likes pumpkin!' I'm always tempted to give in, especially since in addition to traditional pumpkin pie, I make this chocolate chip pumpkin pie that is amazing. (It doesn't sound like it would be, but the chocolate cuts the sweetness of the filling and it is so very delicious.) But, I really love the texture and flavor of pumpkin pie, especially when it is made with the true raw ingredients (real cloves, cinnamon from a stick, etc.) I look forward to it all year. For me, it's not Thanksgiving without it.

Enjoy!

Ingredients:
3/4 cup packed natural brown sugar
11/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp salt
1 can (15 oz) pumpkin, or 13/4 cups cooked fresh pumpkin
3 eggs
1 cup half & half
1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell

In a large mixing bowl, stir together the brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves and salt. Use your clean fingers to really mix it well. Crack the eggs into the bowl and whisk them into the brown sugar mixture with a wire whisk. Add the pumpkin, whisking it in completely. Gently whisk in the half and half. Pour filling into unbaked pie shell and bake at 375°F for 45 minutes or until set. Serves 8.

No comments: