Friday, March 6, 2009

Home Is Just Another Word For You

I couldn't agree with my fellow blogettes more. Home is definitely where the heart is.

My parents still live in the house I was raised in, and I have always loved it. I'm sure they'll move at some point, but when they do it will be extremely difficult for me, even though I'm a big girlfriday now.

I went on to live in my first dorm room, which was my own home, but not really. I loved the taste of independence. I loved coming and going as I pleased. I loved the friendships I made with people I didn't just see at school, but bonded with in my pajamas. But it wasn't home.

Then I moved to my first real apartment. It was the first home that was my own, but again, not really home. I felt like the ultimate single girl-- very Sex and the City. I was making my own money, budgeting, bringing home the bacon and frying it in the pan. I also lived with a great friend then, but it wasn't quite like coming home to family. It was more like living like an anonymous tax paying citizen, and it was what I was really craving. I liked to believe I had it all figured out, but I definitely still depended on my parents, big time.

Next I moved to an apartment in a far away state. Surely this one would finally be my home. I loved that place. My roommates and friends were great and my life looked exactly like I wanted it to. I was doing what I was passionate about and enjoying every minute. I also felt like I had finally found my city, I place where I wanted to put down roots. And yet still, it just wasn't my comfy place. I craved my real home.

I would go on to move around a lot. And as fun as it was to live in new places, I never thought of anywhere but my childhood house as my home.

But truthfully, that has all changed. As much as I still love visiting home, I don't feel totally comfortable, relaxed and happy if my husband is not there. I love that house and I'm extremely close to my immediate family; it's great to be there. But true contentedness does not come to me without him. I hate to sound schamltzy, but being around HubbyFriday brings me a peace that I have never had before. It doesn't matter if we are in dumpy motel off the interstate or on a beatiful island vacation or curled up on our couch. He will always be my home.

No comments: