Wednesday, April 22, 2009

GW Took the How Much In Denial are You Quiz...

I don't want to think or write about the recession anymore.  Enough already.

If you read my post last week, about how I tend to laugh more often in the face of misery, sadness and fear, then you might be onto the fact that I'm usually in a bit of denial.  Sounds like it could be dangerous to be blissfully ignorant-- but I think it's what gets me through the day, and all the big, bad things life throws around.

I've found that Facebook is a really great place to not think or write about the recession.  

In Facebook land, my friend just learned "what type of legal document" he is.  I mean, that's amazing!  He's a Res Ipsa Loquitor.  I have no idea what that means, but wow what a personal milestone.  Another friend took another quiz and found out she hates George W. Bush!  I think she already knew that (I think her whole Facebook universe already knew that), but I'm so glad she took a quiz and found out for sure!

On Facebook, my friends are: trying to fall asleep but can't, waiting for "CSI Miami" to come on, saying happy birthday to his "homie," squealed like a pig, doing homework, going to the dojo, quoting Elvis, cheering on the Rangers--  NO ONE is talking about the recession here!  I LOVE this place!  

I have four friends following illness:  one woman is doing physical therapy exercises after foot surgery, my old English teacher is chronicling his diet before a colonoscopy, a coworker is sitting next to her sister recovering from a stroke, and a mom is worrying about her daughter's dental problems.  But I don't think any of these things are actually serious, because all these friends will be writing about something else a few minutes from now.  

Just about all the girls from my high school have at least one toddler; and my former CEO announced his wife's positive pregnancy test 5 minutes ago.  OMG, I had no idea what cereals that girl from 10th considered her top five, and in what order.. I probably would put Lucky Charms first, but whatever.  Oh cold.  Someone is so mad about a baseball game he used lots of exclamation points and now his friend is egging him on by being happy about the same baseball game and also using exclamation points.  That is so rude!  Refresh.  God I love vaguely suicidal status updates-- that one girl really wants someone to ask her what's wrong but no, I won't do it.  Someone should reply that they're "praying for her" and hope another status update interrupts the awkward silence.  Watch out someone just threw a chicken!  You know what, I changed my mind- I am a little uncomfortable when the pregnant girl is posting that she needs someone to cuddle with.  

In this matrix there's no talk of layoffs, dissolving 401k, or shrinking savings here.  In fact, people are sending each other cupcakes and mobile uploads and growing gifts and wall graffiti! People are out and shopping.. see? Everything's fine.   

  




No comments: