Thursday, May 28, 2009

Blast to the Past

The topic this week is reunions. I am the baby of our blogette team, thus, have yet to attend a reunion. However, I have thought many times what it will be like when I do attend my 10-year reunion. Will the stereotypes of reunions hold true? Will the jocks still be stuck in the same small-town we graduated from, unable to get over their high school quarterback glory days? Will the National Honor Society and choir kids end up incredibly successful? It is hard to tell.

One of the nice things about today’s technology is that it is much easier to keep in touch with old high school/college buddies then it ever was in the past. We have avenues such as Facebook, LinkedIn, Myspace, etc. It is fun to browse on other people’s Facebook pages, to look at their pictures, and try to figure out what direction their lives have taken. In some regards, this can take much of the surprise out of reunion experience.

I have always been curious to see if there was a way to find out how many people lie at their high school/college reunions. Do people rent or borrow fancy cars to drive up in? Do they exaggerate their success? I guess I have had this exaggerated image in my head about reunions ever since I almost peed my pants laughing with Romy and Michelle tried to convince their high school class that they had created Post-its. Is there going to be some unknown person from my very small high school class (I only graduated with 120 people) that will show up with some incredible invention or business. Possibly. Only time will tell.

Until then, I will continue to work at my own goals and ambitions and ensure that I don’t feel inadequate at my life accomplishments when the time comes for my reunion.

No comments: