Friday, May 29, 2009

Reunion Tangent

So, reunions. I didn't go to my 10 year high school reunion because I lived in a different city. I suppose that I could have flown in, but I didn't think it was worth it. Like most people, I thought I would never bother going to my high school's reunion, but as it got closer I loosened up to the idea and thought, eh- it might be fun. In the end, it wasn't worth the extra, unplanned trip home.

I think this situation is indicative of a certain aspect of my personality-- one that some people probably don't like. I cut my losses. A friend once said about me, responding to another person who was critcizing my tendency to "drop friends," that when my friendships change, I'm realistic about it. That is a nice way of putting it. In truth, I'm envious of those who can let more roll over their back, facebook everyone, hang out with whoever and always enjoy it.

My bottom line is this: although I respect that people are different, if there is someone whose values I really don't agree with, who I don't think is a good person (or has too many hang-ups to present herself as one), who I don't feel loves me as a friend, I am not going to waste my time. I do think it's my job as an adult to be polite to such a person. But I really won't go out of my way to nurture a friendship either.

Luckily, every member of this blog has been an amazing friend to me. And I have several more goodies too- I'm talking to you, migrainegirl. I have you chicks (and a few dudes) to thank for being such an exclusive biatch. If y'all (FYI- I'm trying to switch to 'y'all' from the gross yet culturally pervasive 'you guys') weren't so supportive and fun, I'd probably seek superficial reinforcements elsewhere. I think most of you are the same way. I'm up for a reunion with any of you ladies, any time.

No comments: