Friday, January 15, 2010

Top 10 GirlFriday moments

I really like GirlMonday's idea of a Top 10 list, although apparently none of the rest of you did- hahahahaha, I kid. I keep forgetting that a decade ended and a new one began. Even though I was little when the 80's became the 90's, it seems like it was treated as a way bigger deal. (I won't compare it to the changing millennium, because obviously that's its own deal.)

Anyway since it's a new decade I thought it fit to personally reflect on the last one. I mean, 10 years is a long time. A person really changes and goes through a lot in 10 years. So here we go, 10 GirlFriday special memories from the 10 years of the previous decade:

1. 2000
This was the year I became close friends with GirlWednesday, and I have to say it's probably my favorite thing about that year. Exploring street fairs and strange pastries in Chinatown, dealing with boy and roommate drama, doing anything to avoid homework, private dance parties-- I really loved it. This was also the year I found out that I got a job after graduation. GirlWednesday and I didn't understand what my job was, so at parties, we would tell people I was a 'banker', whatever that is.

2. 2001
In 2001 I graduated college (yay, first major achievement), got my first real job, and first real apartment. I definitely started to feel like an almost-adult at that time-- paying taxes will do that to you. And I had some personal tragedy along with the nation's tragedy, so I guess it really was a year marked with growing up.

3. 2002
The main thing about 2002 is that I was working in a job I really didn't like, for a variety of reasons. So, my favorite thing about that year, understandably, was a vacation I took to the West Coast. Also, I applied to grad school (I think I submitted my first application at like, midnight on December 31st, but it still counts!). I've always been proud that I identified that I was unhappy and took steps to change things.

4. 2003
Without a doubt the best thing about 2003 was moving to a new part of the country and the new friends I made there. My first night, I cried my eyes out. I thought, what an idiot I am for wanting to experience new things, I should've stayed home where my friends and family are, where everything is familiar. But in the end, I met GirlMonday, GirlTuesday, and a slew of other awesome people who have become friends for life. Would not give them up for anything. Oh yeah, I also met my husband that year. Ha!

5. 2004
2004 may have been one of the best years of my life because I was really happy with where I was-- physically, in terms of friendships and relationships, and what I was doing intellectually. And most importantly, I appreciated it. That time really helped me articulate what I want my life to be. A funny moment from that year is when I introduced now-HusbandFriday and his best friend to GirlWednesday for the first time. He thought she was funny and crazy, and she couldn't understand a word he was saying. But they really do love each other.

6. 2005
Okay so 2005 was the year I actually became a grown-up. I took on a very intense job and it totally showed me what I was made of. Also met some cool people, one of which got to the Hollywood round on American Idol this year! And, I was reunited with now-HusbandFriday after a brief hiatus, which was unexpected and wonderful.

7. 2006
That was the year it became somewhat obvious that I would marry HusbandFriday at some point; I felt really happy and certain about the whole thing. In my life up to that point, I always wondered about "how you know" when you are supposed to be with someone. When that moment came for me, it was obvious.

8. 2007
In 2007, I got engaged, which was great. When it happened, I was so shocked I wanted to throw up. I mean, I was really, really happy, but the shock was overwhelming. But it felt really good to have the thing be official and to feel like my personal life was sorted out once and for all. I've written about this before, the idea that "now that's taken care of" and I can explore who I really want to be. With my best buddy right there with me.

9. 2008
I got married, so that's an obvious one. I also spent the summer in a new city, in a part of the country I had never even been to before, and I really enjoyed that experience. The wedding was wonderful and the being married was even better. Also I went to Hawaii on my honeymoon, and aside from minor sicknesses and intense fatigue from the wedding activities, it was pretty dope.

10. 2009
2009 just happened so I have a lot of good memories. One that sticks out in my mind is going to Las Vegas with my hubby and my brother. They ruled at the craps table and I liked playing the slots. It was my first time in Vegas as a booze-drinker and I was amazed that they brought free drinks to you! Also stayed at the Encore, which was amazing, saw Le Reve, also amazing, and had a wonderful massage and mani/pedi at the spa.

It's crazy how different life is, how different I am, and how many things I have experienced in the last 10 years. I hope the next decade is just as crazy.

1 comment:

Lizabeth said...

2004 was my favorite year too. :)