Tuesday, May 5, 2009

The List

There is a deep irony to the fact that I began this post on my BlackBerry while waiting for a metro train well-later than the commuter rush had subsided. My job does lots of things for me- it keeps my mind sharp; on good days, it challenges me to learn new, uncharted areas of the law. It forces me outside of my comfort zone at least two to three times a week, and it provides me with the resources to keep a roof over our heads, food on our table, and clothes on our backs. Each one of those are things I should be thankful for- and in large part, I am.

But my job is not my passion. At least not at the moment. HT is fond of reminding me that there are a select few who are lucky enough to do what they love for a living. The rest of us spend our lives searching for something that pays the bills so that we can do what we love on weekends and holidays.

The good thing about starting off on a career in this day in age is that, unlike our grandparents’ generation that worked that worked their way up through the rank and file from mailroom clerk to CEO with the same firm, company, or agency, Gen Y-ers will spend their life in a range of different jobs. Some related, some entirely unrelated. Some of us may follow the “traditional” model of advancing within a single corporate entity, but others of us will bounce about and be alright with that.

And it’s the ability to bounce that keeps me grounded while waiting for the train at night or driving to the office on a Saturday morning. You see, I have a hard time identifying a single passion that drives me right now. At twenty-eight, I would be lying to say that I have identified my life’s passion. Rather than a single goal or ambition, I have a mental list of next steps which I am patiently waiting to take. It is a bucket list of job titles I hope to check off in pursuit of that one occupation that allows me to truly love what I do. I’m not talking about “dream” jobs like replacing Erin Andrews as an ESPN sideline reporter, writing hotel reviews for Travel & Leisure Magazine, or opening a restaurant specializing in Brunch. I’m talking about a range of jobs which involve a greater degree of public service. I’m talking about teaching college, writing speeches for politicians or public figures, or serving as a legal policy advisor within the Federal Executive Branch. I’m talking about being open to opportunities as they arise—being willing to give up the big pay check in hopes of greater inner-rewards. And I’m talking about being willing to adapt and let work take a back seat to family at the appropriate times, as well.

So I suppose, for now, my passion is keeping my eyes open. And that hope will have to sustain me for the time being.

No comments: