Thursday, May 7, 2009

My Life

I never would have guessed that I would have ended up at the company I work for today when I graduated from college almost two years ago. Over the past two years I have developed my professional skills and I have become accustom to working in a corporate setting. While I have had lots of great career opportunities over these past two years, there are so many passions I have outside of work that I would like to dedicate more time to in the future.

I love standing in a mountain river, casting my fishing line, as the cold water rushes across my legs. I love the serene and peaceful atmosphere experienced during long runs on back-wood trails. I love the smiles children get on their faces when time is taken to help with and participate in activities that they really enjoy. I love attending musicals and quietly singing along with the songs as the actors perform on stage. There are so many things that I love doing that I wish I would have spent more time pursuing over these past few years.

My husband always tells me to think about what I REALLY want to accomplish during my life and find a way to pursue those goals. Considering that I am awake roughly 16 hours a day, and roughly 9 hours of this time is spent at work five days a week, it is easy for me to understand how time seems to disappear. While I understand why I have not been pursuing some of the things I love over the past few years as much as I would like, I cannot really accept this fact any longer.

One of my biggest fears in life is that twenty-five years into the future I will look back and have regrets about not accomplishing all that I wanted to during my life. I do not believe that in twenty-five years my life will be over, but my opportunity to accomplish many of my life goals will have vanished. For this reason I have made several promises to myself. I have promised myself that the next professional job I have will be one that I truly have a passion for and that will enable me to pursue something I am passionate about. I have promised myself that my family will always be my first priority, and I will always work hard to keep meaningful relationships with those that I love. I have promised myself that I will do my best to make my children’s dreams become reality, but also dedicate time for my own personal dreams. Lastly, I have promised myself to make a difference in this world, and make a difference in the lives of others.

While there will always be days that seem to drag on forever, overall time passes by far too fast. Before I know it I will be an elderly woman spending more time reflecting on the life I lived, and hopefully spending time with my grandchildren. Before that day comes, many more days will pass. This had led me to an important realization; while I cannot slow the passing of time, I can choose how I will live whatever time I have remaining.

No comments: